Pages

Friday, October 24, 2008

Rain On

Wednesday morning we woke to a very cold, very wet day. It was 40 degrees, and raining steadily- a cold, cold rain- and it was windy and just nasty outside. It was so dark, I had to have lights on to see- even at 8:10 in the morning, when we were sitting down for breakfast. It actually rained constantly past when we turned in to bed on Wednesday night.

It seemed like a good day to forget all our ordinary things and just go with it.
We ate breakfast by warm candle light. See Bebo running for Hudson's tray the second I turn to get the camera? Yeah.Then, everyone took a long warm bath and put on fresh pajamas. Hudson took his morning nap and we settled in to our bed, everyone's blankets and pillows wedged in tight.
We got lost in the second of the Anne of Green Gables trilogy, which I had just gotten at the library the day before. Jim reads the girls a chapter from a novel every night, and they recently finished Anne of Green Gables, book 1 and we watched that movie a few weeks ago. They're in the middle of book 2 now, and were eager to watch more "Anne". The Sullivan Entertainment versions of the Anne books, with Megan Follows of course, are so incredible! I grew up watching them every single winter on PBS and they are very well-loved by me, and now by our whole family. We'll purchase them at some point- this Christmas, the next? And I know we'll sit through many a long winter's Saturday with the warm Anne stories over the years.

We all sat lost in the movie through Hudson's nap, and I sat crotcheting (how in the world do you spell crotcheting?! oh, and shh... Christmas gifts for the girls...they're a little suspicious...) and we all snuggled together and it was a spectacular way to spend a cold and rainy day.
I threw together a homemade pizza at lunch time, and after a short break to eat, we finished the movie.

After lunch Lily played puzzles with Hudson, she'd had enough of sitting still...
But Grace and Patie and I snuggled through the whole thing (232 minutes). We giggled at the funny parts, our eyes got red at the bittersweet parts, and we all breathed a sigh of relief when, once again, Gilbert didn't let the fever lick him. Whew.

It was tremendous. Rain on, nasty day!

15 comments:

Kimberly said...

1. Love your hair.

2. I posted way back, about the time Abigail was born, that I planned for my first gift to her to be the "Anne of Green Gables" trilogy. Because quite frankly, the idea of having someone to watch it with me still puts a lump in my throat.

Way to make a beautiful day out of what could otherwise have been yucky!

Tarrah said...

What a wonderful cozy day! Did you have any hot chocolate? That is my cozy time on cold days :)

Lisa said...

Sounds like a fabulous day that makes you long for more rainy ones :)

Erin said...

I love reading your blog, but have never posted...

I absolutely love Anne of Green Gables. I grew up reading the books and watching the movies. The first book on my oldest daughter's shelf was the first Anne book.

I can't wait to watch the movies with her... I have the whole set!

Ris said...

I LOVED those books! What a FUN day! the crocheting thing is hilarious, LOL!

I always love it when Bebo or Bacon make a cameo in your blog!

Robyn said...

Oh how I love Anne!

I pretended I was Anne all through college.

Kiki said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I wish I could have been there. What is the boy version of Anne? Luke Skywalker? Hm, not as much fun in my mind!

Anne Elizabeth said...

It was rainy and cold all day on Wednesday here too! I have to say your day was a lot more fun than mine. I'm dealing with a VERY fussy three year old. I'm sure you know how that is. I LOVE the Anne books and the movies. I have them on VHS but I would love to get them on DVD!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

i've recently had the urge to rewatch all the anne stories...i think i will during my 17 hour drive next week...woo-hoo! love this beautiful day that you shared...and your hubby reading anne to your kids...my husband is hateful toward anne b/c his sister constantly watched it growing up...but i think in a few more years he'll have to get over it so i have these wonderful memories to post also. ;-)

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Hands down my favorite movies. Kim, and you and I should get together and watch them ;) With MOUNDS of chocolate! Of course.

What a spectacular day with the up and comers!

-Andrea

Sarah in the Middle said...

Your weather sounds like what we live in for the next few months (Seattle is beautiful, but the fall/ winter can get rough).
I think I've watched the Anne movies about a hundred times. I STILL cry when Matthew dies. And I think Gilbert was my first real crush.
It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Good job seizing the moment.

A Crafty Mom said...

How fun, Megan!! That could have been our house at breakfast, right up to the dog jumping up the minute I wasn't looking to sneak a morsel of food.

And I loved Anne of Green Gables too - made my parents take me there when I was young (I actually grew up in Nova Scotia, not far from PEI). I saw every movie about a million times - and EVEN better on a cold rainy day :-)

stacey said...

Sounds like the PERFECT rainy day!

Mandy said...

Oh...can my girls & I come join you next time? I wish! What a wonderful day...and the more I read your blog the more I just KNOW we would be kindred spirits IRL!

~B said...

Megan, Have you ever listened to "Focus on the Family" Radio Theater? They are so wonderful and they have the Anne story--SO GOOD. Try it, you'll love it!
~B