Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Faux Board

I wanted this chalk board. For a long time. Words are my thing. I love quotes. I love messages and notes and I wanted it. For it's size, and it's endless possibilities of usefulness. It, this lovely 24x36 board of possibility was $99. Plus massive Pottery Barn shipping. You just can't find something like this in stores. I tried. But that was too much, even with all it's possibilities.
So I made my own.
Finally. I finally got to it.
24x36 frame from Hobby Lobby, 50% off: $25.00
I took out the glass and stored it in the basement, turned around the black cardboard backing so it was in the front, and wrote on it.
Because it's too cold to paint outside. Bitterly cold. And chalk board paint STINKS and STAINS (we've got a wall of it in our school room- it's perfect, but painstaking to do it right.) But when I do have a warm spring day to do it right, Jim will obtain and cut to size a piece of MDF (wiki-linked for anyone like me that's not in the know of anything handyman like) and I will paint it with my under $5 can of chalk board paint, and I'll swap out and have a real board. Not a faux board.
For about $30.
See? It's all an illusion. Do not come to my house and erase this. It will smear around and make a big mess.
But the first above 50 degree day, you can believe I'll be outside finishing this up and making an honest chalk board out of her.

7 comments:

A Crafty Mom said...

I did something similar recently - yes, that chalkboard paint stinks and is messy!! I'm hoping to do a little section of wall in our kitchen next though :)

Well done - so impressed as always!

anne said...

You rock.

It looks awesome!

A

Mandy said...

You have got to be the most crafty and innovative person I know! Love it!

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

Great job!
I have wanted a chalkboard in my kitchen for a long time. I just haven't had the guts to tackle the project. Ugg!

Danielle said...

You're awesome! I love projects like this. I too want a chalk board or a chalk board wall or something. Not sure what or where yet, but I'm definitely going to do something like that this year!

Miranda said...

I'm sure you already know this, but there is "magnetic" paint too. So you can have the magnet board, too....

brianne whitworth said...

I love it! I haven't seen that movie but now I will. This was one of my new years revolt-utions and I'm not even 32 yet! I can still be the next Julia!!

Ps-love your photography too. Visit my blog if you get a chance :) www.briannewhitworth.com/blog